Thursday, April 26, 2018

NaPoWriMo 2018 - Day 26

Berry Dreams
I had dreams
Berry dreams
Dreams of cobblers
And jams.

So I went in the yard
And worked oh so hard
Picking those berries
From their canes
Those bright purple, black berries
From their thorny, thorny canes.
And it was nearly impossible
Quite impossible
To pick a berry
Without feeling
That sharp quick pain
Of the thorn pricking your finger
And it stung too.
Not as bad as a wasp
But maybe like a bee.
My fingers were sore and red and pricked
By the time I was through.

I carried my prize inside the house
And set to work in the kitchen.
Rolling and stretching out the pie dough
Pressing the soft, delicate dough
Into the cool glass pie pan.
Then I rinsed my berries
Under the cool, clear water.
Dumped them in a bowl
Mixed in some sugar and cinnamon
And dumped the filling in the pie.

I layered the top piece of dough
Wet my fingers,
And methodically, carefully
Sealed that soft dough shut,
Crimping it as I went.
I cut holes for vents.

And opened the oven
I felt the blast of heat on my face
And thought of the pizza oven
That I thought a dragon lived inside as a child.
I placed my pie in the middle,
Set the timer
And went in the living room.

I waited,
And waited
And waited.

Til I heard that
Shrill, little
Incessant
Beep, Beep, Beep.
The oven timer
Is always in more of a rush than me.

I pulled the pie out
Carefully
Covered the nicely
golden browned edges with foil
Working quickly
Feeling the heat of the pie plate
On my fingers
The heat hastened my pace
So I wouldn't get burned.

Then into the oven the pie returned.
And I waited again
for the impatient and piercing
Beep beep beep
Of the oven.

Padding into the kitchen
I smiled
At the cinnamony, bready
And bright smell
Permeating my kitchen.

I pulled out the pie
Lightly browned on the top
The berries and sauce bubbling
Reddish purple
Through the steam holes.

I sliced that pie
And served a piece
The juices spread out on my plate
And I ate a tantalizing bite
The crust both crisp and tender
The sauce was both tart and sweet
The berries somehow both firm and soft
And the seeds of course were grainy, but pleasant
I savored each bite
The cinnamon and sugar imparted
A light spiciness and sugar sweetness
But the berries' bright tartness shone.

That night I dreamed
Dewberry dreams.




Today's prompt was to write a poem that spoke to all five senses and well, I've tried.



Happy writing! And berry eating.
-Sharon


No comments:

Post a Comment